Get nostalgic with our fabulous Throwback Thursday quotes!
Over the years, Throwback Thursday has taken the world by storm, helping us celebrate all of our most precious moments from the past.
How did Thursday get its name?
How Thursday got its name is an interesting story.
You may be able to hear the origin of the word when you say Thursday aloud.
The fifth day of the week we fondly know as Thursday gets its name from none other than Thor, the hammer-wielding Norse god of thunder, protection, and strength.
Get it, Thursday, Thorsday.
In fact, many cultures from ancient times associate the fifth day of the week with powerful gods.
Romans associated the day with the powerful god of the sky, Jupiter; and in India, they associated the day with the powerful guru Brhaspati.
Check out these interesting facts about Thursday:
- Thursday is traditionally the fifth day of the week
- Years that start on a Thursday have 53 weeks.
- In the US, the Thanksgiving holiday always occurs on Thursday.
Who came up with the term Throwback Thursday?
Let’s fast forward several thousand centuries to our present times and the invention of Throwback Thursday.
There are several origin stories for Throwback Thursday.
One story associates the phrase with a content creator named Matt Halfhill, who came up with the phrase to celebrate pictures of retro sneakers he loved collecting.
Another origin places Throwback Thursday’s creation with a man named Bobby Sanders, who posted the hashtag #ThrowbackThursday in 2011.
Every day is a great day to reflect on our accomplishments
Regardless of who came up with the phrase or who was the first to use it in a caption, the magnitude of Throwback Thursday’s popularity cannot be ignored.
Check out our awesome Throwback Thursday quotes below for more great content.
Short Throwback Thursday quotes for getting nostalgic
It is good to look back and remember our past, especially when moving toward our future.
1. “I’m going to scare a lot of kids Thursday night.” — Jon Gruden
2. “Thursday? Oh no, it can’t be! It’s too gruesome.” — Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast At Tiffany’s
3. “By Thursday morning, we’d gotten over the worst of it.” — William Scranton
4. “Memories, even bittersweet ones, are better than nothing.” — Jennifer L. Armentrout, Onyx
5. “Thursday is a day to admit your mistakes and try to improve.” — Byron Pulsifer
6. “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” — A.A Milne, Winnie The Pooh
7. “Thursday, I forecast as mostly sunny. It’s a much—needed break.” — John Farley
8. “Thursdays are just wannabes. They wannabe Friday but they’re not!” — Anonymous
9. “Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory.” — Franklin Pierce Adams
10. “Effort is what is required on Thursday to finish all that needs to be done.” — Kate Summers
Throwback Thursday quotes for work to push you through the week
We all need a little inspiration to make it through our work weeks and you cannot get through your week without going through Thursday, might as well enjoy it!
11. “Thursday is practically Friday, and Friday is Friday.” — Malcolm Azania, The Coyote Kings Of The Space—Age Bachelor Pad
12. “This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.” — Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy
13. “Thursdays bring a focus to our week to complete all that needs to be done.” — Byron Pulsifer
14. “We usually have margaritas on Thursdays, but since it’s Tuesday, I’ll make an exception.” — Chelsea Handler
15. “I’ve heard of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. But I’ve never heard of Someday.” — Reverend Ike
16. “Thursday. Today you are so tired and will think about how your week was and how it will go on Thursday.” — Anonymous
17. “Thursday is perhaps the worst day of the week. It’s nothing in itself; it just reminds you that the week has been going on too long.” — Nicci French
18. “We covered so much ground on Thursday night that it took us half an hour. I’m not trying to look for excuses, but that’s the reality.” — George Boateng
19. “Lesson one in time travel, Thursday. First of all, we are all time travelers. The vast majority of us manage only one day per day.” — Jasper Fforde, Lost In A Good Book
20. “And whether it is Thursday or the day is stormy, with thunder and rain, or the birds attack each other, we have rolled into another dream.” — John Ashbery, Spring Day
The best Throwback Thursday quotes and sayings
Thursdays have their own flavor, they are a unique part of our week.
21. “No, Thursday’s out. How about never—is never good for you?” — Robert Mankoff, The New Yorker
22. “You can quit anything on a Thursday. Quit letting other people decide who you are.” — Bob Goff
23. “I’m glad tomorrow’s Thursday. Cause with a bit of luck, as far as I remember, that’s the day they pass the buck.” — Pam Ayres, Some of Me Poetry
24. “And God said, ‘Let there be light’ and there was light, but the Electricity Board said He would have to wait until Thursday to be connected.” — Spike Milligan
25. “Happy Thursday! Life at work and at home is so much HAPPIER when you speak and act with kindness! Share a smile and make it a great day!” — Tracey Edmonds
26. “You can’t say something like, ‘I will have compassion on Monday, Thursdays, and Fridays only. But for the rest, I will be cruel’. That is hypocrisy.” — Israelmore Ayivor
27. “Happy Thursday! Greet your problems and decisions with peace and calm. Use your inner wisdom to evaluate and make smart decisions for yourself! You got this!” — Tracey Edmonds
28. “On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, we use the wave theory; on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, we think in streams of flying energy quanta or corpuscles.” — William Henry Bragg
29. “Elegance is like manners. You can’t be polite only on Wednesday or Thursday. If you are elegant, you should be every day of the week. If you are not, then it’s another matter.” — Aldo Gucci
30. “I love the satisfaction of living in a world on a Wednesday where a song didn’t exist that you’re going to create on a Thursday that’s going to change somebody’s life, possibly, you’re creating that from nothing.” — Noel Gallagher
The best Throwback Thursday quotes and captions for Instagram
Here are some amazing Throwback Thursday captions for Instagram
31. “OH, it is already a Thursday, Friday’s sexiest sister.” — Anonymous
32. “With remote working, all days are throwback Thursday.” — Anonymous
33. “Welcome, Thursday, a day for the least excitement in life.” — Anonymous
34. “Cheers to a throwback Thursday, soon Monday will be smiling at your door.” — Anonymous
35. “It is a throwback Thursday, a time to see everyone dulls and less filtered photos.” — Anonymous
36. “No one can stop you from achieving your best, only you can. Happy throwback Thursday.” — Anonymous
37. “We never remember the days of the week when we achieved greatness. Greatness can still be attained on Thursday.” — Anonymous
38. “Happy throwback Thursday! The obstacle you have overcome should be your motivation that nothing is permanent in life.” — Anonymous
39. “If you don’t know what to do in life, start by doing what you know, eventually, you will know what to do. Happy throwback Thursday.” — Anonymous
40. “It is another throwback Thursday, a good day to be alive. Never waste any day you are given the chance to breathe and be healthy.” — Anonymous
Throwback Thursday quotes for old pics and memory lane
Take a stroll down memory lane with our favorite Throwback Thursday quotes below.
41. “I wish you a tolerable Thursday. That’s all any of us can hope for.” — April Winchell
42. “I’m from Canada, so Thanksgiving to me is just Thursday with more food. And I’m thankful for that.” — Howie Mandel
43. “She got the magazine on a Wednesday morning, and on Thursday announced our marriage was over.” — David Gest
44. “I work on a musician’s week, so Monday is Friday. By the time Thursday rolls around, you stay in, and you work, and you don’t go out because it’s horrible.” — El-P
45. “Last Thursday, our Supreme Court backed that local governments can co-opt private property, and give it to another private entity, for economic development.” — Cliff Stearns
46. “After the departure of the land parties, I embarked with six men on thursday, the 21st april, on board my newly made boat and began the descent of the river.” — William Henry Ashley
47. “But here’s my point to the LA Times. If you had a serious story to run, if you thought there was serious misconduct, you don’t wait until the Thursday before the Tuesday. You run it early.” — Susan Estrich
48. “Last winter when I was coming home from church one Thursday evening, I saw somebody run around the house again. I told my father of that.” — Lizzie Andrew Borden
49. “I was in NYC during 9/11; it happened on a Tuesday, I was on stage Thursday. It was a small crowd, but it took about 10 days and comedy clubs were packed.” — Bill Burr
50. “I grew up with ‘Friends’ from day one and, like, ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Frazier,’ those sorts of shows, but for sure, ‘Friends’ was it for our family. Like, we would watch every Thursday night at eight o’clock; I couldn’t wait.” — Kaley Cuoco
Throwback Thursdays keep our memories fresh
When Sanders first posted #ThrowbackThursday he had no idea it would take off and gain popularity.
In an interview with Time magazine, he notes, “My favorite sunglasses company had a sunglasses line called Throwbacks, so I had that name in my head.”
Like most people, Sanders is a fan of alliteration, so he went with the Throwback Thursday caption.
He explains further, “I guess with the filter, older cars as the subject, and it being Thursday it was just something I thought would be a funny hashtag, not something that would eventually catch on to the phenomenon it’s become.”
Who knew something so random would gain so much notoriety?
Across the world, people post Throwback Thursday or #tbt posts to celebrate their memories and share nostalgia with their friends and family.
What is your favorite part about Throwback Thursday?
Do you have a favorite Throwback Thursday quote?
Please, be sure to let us know in the comment section below.