These disappointment quotes draw inspiration from literary greats, scholarly thinkers, and memorable characters from various works.
It can leave us feeling like we’re living in a Shakespearean tragedy or caught in the ups and downs of a gripping TV series.
You may also enjoy our article on:
It’s a sentiment that has been captured eloquently in words that have echoed through the corridors of time.
Let us know which resonated most with you in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these disappointment quotes?
Failure is an inevitable part of life, and so is disappointment.
These disappointment quotes will give you perspective on dealing with things that don’t go your way.
Some healthy ways of dealing with disappointment include:
- Allow yourself to feel your feelings and name them
- Don’t get caught up in asking, “what if”
- Be as kind to yourself as you would be to a disappointed friend
- Try to find the positive in the situation
Unless someone has lived a completely charmed life, everyone has faced disappointment in his or her life.
But the key is what we do with it and how we handle it.
Can we turn disappointment into something positive?
Here are some quotes about disappointment – and how to handle it.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Inspiring Disappointment Quotes About Love and Life
1. “Disappointment is the nurse of wisdom.” – Sir Bayle Roche
You will also enjoy our article on sad love quotes.
2. “Sometimes when you get disappointment it makes you stronger.” – David Rudisha
You will also enjoy our article on I’m sorry quote.
3. “Assuming is the root of all disappointments. – Rogienel Reyes
You will also enjoy our article on parents quotes.
4. “One’s best success comes after their greatest disappointments.” – Henry Ward Beecher
You will also enjoy our article on letting go quotes.
5. “The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.” – Robert Kiyosaki
You will also enjoy our article on pain quotes.
6. “If I am to meet with a disappointment, the sooner I know it, the more of life I shall have to wear it off.” – Thomas Jefferson
You will also enjoy our article on encouraging quotes.
7. “Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the one person who you thought would never hurt you.”― Gugu Mofokeng
You will also enjoy our article on bad relationship quotes.
8. “Expectation is the root of all heartache.” – William Shakespeare
You will also enjoy our article on revenge quotes.
9. “When things are a disappointment, try not to be so discouraged.” — Carol Burnett
You will also enjoy our article on betrayal quotes.
10. “When disappointment festers in our soul, it leads to discouragement.” — Joyce Meyer
You will also enjoy our article on feeling lost quotes.
11. “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
You will also enjoy our article on mistake quotes.
12. “Despair and disappointment are the parents of countless inspired, inspiring, triumphant creations”― Rasheed Ogunlaru
You will also enjoy our article on deep quotes.
13. “Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.” – Alexander Pope
You will also enjoy our article on inspirational failure quotes.
14. “Disappointment was never a thing you looked for, but it had a wonderful way of clearing the mind.”― Stephen King
You will also enjoy our article on perfection quotes.
15. “Most things disappoint till you look deeper.” – Graham Greene
You will also enjoy our article on broken heart quotes.
16. “Disappointment gives you Fear. Credence gives you Strength.”― Mohith Agadi
You will also enjoy our article on waiting quotes.
17. “Suspense is worse than disappointment.” – Robert Burns
You will also enjoy our article on trust no one quotes.
18. “Evil lurks where disappointment lodges.” — George Foreman
You will also enjoy our article on crush quotes.
19. “Disappointment is really just a term for our refusal to look on the bright side.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
You will also enjoy our article on hurt quotes.
20. “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” ― Oprah Winfrey
Also, read these comeback quotes that will inspire you to bounce back.
Quotes On Disappointment And Moving Your Forward
21. “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” ― Lance Armstrong
You will also enjoy our article on hate quotes.
22. “Time doesn’t heal emotional pain, you need to learn how to let go.” ― Roy T. Bennett
You will also enjoy our article on haters quotes.
23. “Behind every beautiful thing, there’s some kind of pain.” ― Bob Dylan
You will also enjoy our article on candle quotes.
24. “Our wounds are often the openings into the best and most beautiful part of us.”― David Richo
You will also enjoy our article on Trust Issues quotes.
25. “Disappointment builds character and strength.” – Nafessa Williams
You will also enjoy our article on decision quotes.
26. “Sometimes we create our own heartbreaks through expectation.”
You will also enjoy our article on I’m done quotes.
27. “You will end up really disappointed if you think people will do for you as you do for them. Not everyone has the same heart as you.”
You will also enjoy our article on boss quotes.
28. “It’s amazing how quickly your mood can change, how deep your heart can sink, and how much one person can affect you.”
You will also enjoy our article on massage quotes.
29. “Things are as they are, we suffer because we imagined different.”
You will also enjoy our article on Anne with an “E” quotes.
30. “Disappointment has no place in a heart full of gratitude.”
You will also enjoy our article on ungrateful quotes.
31. “Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the single person you thought would never hurt you.”
32. “Dwelling on a disappointing situation is like walking through drying cement; eventually you will get stuck. Instead make a mental note, picked yourself up and continued living life.”― Carlos Wallace
33. “I don’t hate you. I’m just disappointed you turned into everything you said you’d never be.”
If you’re enjoying this article, you’ll also love our collection of rejection quotes about life, love, and goals.
Quotes About Disappointment To Give You Hope
34. “You cannot be disappointed by something that doesn’t exist.”
35. “Understanding is the key to getting over disappointment.”
36. “Never trust a person that has let you down more than twice. Once was a warning, twice was a lesson, and anything more than that is simply taking advantage.”
37. “Each pain makes you stronger, each betrayal more intelligent, every disappointment more skillful and each experience wiser.”
38. “Nothing annoys me more than when someone expects you to be okay with something that they wouldn’t be okay with if you did it.”
39. “It was one of those times you feel a sense of loss, even though you didn’t have something in the first place. I guess that’s what disappointment is- a sense of loss for something you never had.” – Deb Caletti, the Nature of Jade
40. “When someone disappoints you, there is nothing that can be done but to accept it.”
You will also enjoy our article on getting over someone quotes.
Disappointment Quotes About Life and Friends
A survey conducted by the University of Chicago found that people are generally more disappointed by missed opportunities than by actual losses.
This statistic suggests that the fear of missing out (FOMO) can lead to greater disappointment than actual failure.
41. “When you have no expectations, you’ll never have disappointments.”
42. “Beware of wallowing in disappointment for it is in this state that depression creeps from behind.”
43. “Do not make a person wait for a decision. To wait forever is a more cruel fate than to be disappointed.”
44. “Disappointment is preferable to being kept in suspense for it is the start of healing.”
45. “There is no rush to acquire success. Do not be disappointed that you have not yet reached your potential.”
46. “One suffers from disappointment, which is to say like every pain, it may be cured.”
47. “Once cannot feel true disappointment until the very end, and even then, it is only another beginning.”
48. “Save the excuses. It’s not about ‘having time’ it’s about making time. If it matters, you will make time.”
49. “Disappointment is a disease that starts with malaise in one’s heart and spreads to those around them.”
50. “Getting disappointed is like becoming broke. You invested so much in something and end up with nothing for your troubles.”
51. “Regret is a bedmate of disappointment and is a lethal combination.”
52. “Like a mortal wound, getting over a disappointment will only make you stronger.”
53. “We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment.” –Jim Rohn
54. “Everything you do in life takes you higher. That is why a disappointment of having less than the best hurts like a fall.”
55. “Sometimes, when something you dreamed of doesn’t happen, a sigh of relief is in order rather than disappointment.”
56. “Children will always be a disappointment for parents who are never satisfied even with themselves.”
57. “Disappointment is a tiny sign that leads you to an evil path.”
58. “Only the fear of disappointment will keep one from following through their goals.”
You will also enjoy our article on Rodney Dangerfield quotes.
Insightful Disappointment Quotes on Life and Love
59. “Disappointment is an ominous cloud of self-doubt and fear which must be broken through at all costs.”
60. “Don’t care for the expectations of others on yourself for their disappointment will unfairly weigh on you.”
61. “When presenting yourself to the world, always show confidence. People are more excited with the prospect of something curious than be turned off by a forecasted disappointment.”
62. “Disappointment is a quicksand of unreality which does not sink in until you have been sucked in.”
63. “No matter how much in love you are, in the end, you are disappointed by either a flamed out affair or until death does you part.”
64. “We can be disappointed with the world but it does us no good as the world will revolve despite us not moving.”
65. “When you work so hard and get back so little is a soul crushing disappointment that must be shelved in order to make life go on.”
66. “Parents ought to teach children how to deal with disappointment and stress. I think the world would be better off full of dysfunctional happy people than those who become disruptive.”
67. “Sometimes we love our children too much that we try protect them from all the hurts in the world, including disappointment. This is often a disappointment in itself.”
Disappointment Quotes About Friends and Emotions
68. “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” – William Blake
69. “Friendship is delicate as a glass, once broken it can be fixed but there will always be cracks.” – Waqar Ahmed
70. “Your experiences will be yours alone. But truth and best friendship will rarely if ever disappoint you.” – Anne Lamott
71. “Some of my “best friends” never say a word to me.” – Emily Smallmon
72. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
– Martin Luther King Jr.
73. “You tell your friends your most personal secrets, and they use them against you.” – Sophie Kinsella
74. “Fake friends are with you today and against you tomorrow.” – Shizra
75. “Convince people that you need them, and watch what they do.” – Wayne Gerard Trotman
76. “Never give your attention to someone who deserves your silence.”
– Emma Xu
77. “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy.”
78. “Disappointments are not meant to destroy you; they are meant to strengthen you.”
79. “Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it’s not because they enjoy solitude. It’s because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.”
80. “Hope, but never expect. Look forward, but never wait.”
81. “One of the worst feelings in the world is having to doubt something you thought was unquestionable.”
More Disappointment Quotes and Sayings
82. “Disappointment is a beautiful sadness, a fitting end to a tragic tale of expectation.”
83. “We run with the desire to fulfill that which is written in our destinies with the spikes and warnings of disappointment and regret lurking beneath.”
84. “At the end of a love affair or a job, test how deep your disappointment is and be merry. For if it is deep, it means you have invested in it fully, and if it is shallow, you can easily move on.”
85. “Hope and expectations are different names for the first part of the path to disappointment.”
86. “Never stop building toward your dreams. Should there be any disappointments along the way, use them for a sturdier foundation.”
87. “Marriages that end in disappointment happens when each other’s expectations are not put on the table.”
88. “Disappointment is a troll that follows you around the house, cluttering things you have put in order, moving the things you need around, and generally disrupting life. Best way to get rid of this pest is to face it head on and tell it to go away before it multiplies.”
89. “Children are often disappointed with their lot in life and suffer the injustice at living when they did not ask to be born.”
90. “When suffering a blow of disappointment, take time to heal one’s wounds. One can go on, surely, but without the strength necessary to succeed.”
91. “To grow up is a disappointment, to make the best of it is maturity.”
92. “Laughter is a cure to the bitter disappointments in life. When you are sad, look for laughter to ease the pain.”
93. “Beauty can cause disappointment for if there is no substance beneath, the image becomes nothing but an empty picture.”
94. “Greet disappointment with cheerfulness. There is nothing like a spring in your step to dispel the ugly gloom.”
95. “Do not believe others when they say they love you. If you do not see the actions with your own eyes, you shall experience disappointment.”
Disappointment Quotes About Haters
97. “If your purpose is just discovery, never commit. This is a path that would lead to disappointment.”
98. “A cynic is someone who’s had his dreams shattered by the realities of disappointment.”
99. “You can’t really disappoint yourself. You can do stupid stuff that can lead you to bad consequences, but knowing that you are who you are can ease the pain.”
100. “Choosing a path to follow and getting lost is a common occurrence for people. Do not be disappointed with your human frailty.”
101. “It is the fear to cause disappointments that leads to it. Such is the irony of life.”
102. “You can hate life and be done with it, but it is an underlying fear of disappointment that causes you to do so. Look for the light in your soul to free you from this prison.”
103. “We simultaneously feel relieved and disappointed when someone sees through our facade and sets us straight.”
104. “It is a gift when someone shares your disappointment. Often, the mere listening of one’s woes is enough to dispel it.”
105. “We are our own sculptors. We chisel away to create our life’s work but sit down in disappointment when a part is not properly done. Remember, it is a work in progress, there is still much to do.”
Disappointment Quotes to make you strong
106. “A disappointment is merely an assignment for your next appointment.”― Kayambila Mpulamasaka
107. “Disappointment has quite a penchant for taking one by surprise.”― Pawan Mishra
108. “The best way to deal with disappointment is to acknowledge and work through the feelings it induces.” – Noaman Kaysingwala
109. “The importance we give our disappointment is what turns it into a tragedy.”― Nitya Prakash
110. “It’s easy not to be disappointed when you’re always wading in the shallow end of feelings.”― Maurene Goo
111. “Disappointment had to be postponed, hope kept alive as long as possible.”― Graham Greene
112. “You can’t please everyone, but you can’t not please everyone either.”
― Joyce Rachelle
113. “Sometimes disappointing other people is the only way you can be yourself.”― Nitya Prakash
114. “Destroying the seeds of disappointment requires you to unexpect the expected.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
115. “You just cannot have the same thing twice without being disappointed.” ― Vann Chow
116. “You say you are disappointed with life. But maybe it is life that’ is disappointed with you.”― Marty Rubin
117. “Whenever I experienced some disappointment in my life, it was always laughter that came to my rescue.”― Marty Rubin
118. “You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try.” – Beverly Sills
119. “Do not dwell on your loss. Look forward with bright new hopes.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
120. “Expectation is the only seed of disappointment.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
Disappointment quotes about the power of not getting what you want
121. “Disappointment is just the action of your brain readjusting itself to reality after discovering things are not the way you thought they were.” – Brad Warner
122. “Disappointment is a blessing. If you were never disappointed, you’d never know what was important to you.”― Kamand Kojouri
123. “Disappointment is a sort of bankruptcy- the bankruptcy of a soul that expends too much in hope and expectation.” – Eric Hoffer
124. “Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there’s a choice I make.” — Charles Stanely
125. “If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment.” — Henry David Thoreau
126. “When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out and the tide of love rushes in.” — Kristin Armstrong
127. “The beauty is that through disappointment you can gain clarity, and with clarity comes conviction and true originality.” — Conan O’Brien
128. “Life is all about setbacks. A life lived without disappointment is a life lived in a cocoon. People have recovered from far worse setbacks.” — Tony Clark
129. “The principles of living greatly include the capacity to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and trial with humility.” — Thomas S. Monson
130. “Nothing in life has happened to you. It’s happened for you. Every disappointment. Every wrong. Even every closed door has helped make you into who you are.” — Joel Osteen
Disappointment quotes from authors
131. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
132. “Disappointment focuses on ‘what is not,’ and completely misses the far greater reality of ‘what now is.”― Craig D. Lounsbrough
133. “You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.” – Joel Osteen
134. “You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.” – Paulo Coelho
135. “If you’re betrayed, release disappointment at once.
By that way, the bitterness has no time to take root.” – Toba Beta
136. “Look. I have a strategy. Why expect anything? If you don’t expect anything, you don’t get disappointed.” – Patricia McCormick
137. “Disappointment will come when your effort does not give you the expected return.” – Chetan Bhagat
138. “One of the best protections against disappointment is to have a lot going on.” – Alain de Botton
139. “Yes, we are going to suffer, we will have difficult times, and we will experience many disappointments — but all of this is transitory it leaves no permanent mark. And one day we will look back with pride and faith at the journey we have taken.” – Paulo Coelho
140. “Why is it so hard to articulate love yet so easy to express disappointment?” – Kaui Hart Hemmings
Disappointment quotes for when you need to reignite your spark
141. “You may encounter many disappointments. Be strong. Tell yourself, “I am good enough, I will try again.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
142. “Hope is tomorrow’s veneer over today’s disappointment.” — Evan Esar
143. “Disappointment is an endless wellspring of comedy inspiration.” — Martin Freeman
144. “There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
145. “Trying to design the perfect plan is the perfect recipe for disappointment.” — Patrick Lencioni
146. “When you have expectations, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.” — Ryan Reynolds
147. “Expectations are dangerous. I recommend not having any, if only to avoid disappointment.” — Conchita Wurst
148. “You can’t dwell on disappointment. You’ve got to take the positives and keep looking ahead.” — AJ Tracey
149. “Don’t let disappointment be the measure of your relationship with a person. Let trust be the measure.” – Nicole Williams
150. “Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter could be said to remedy anything.” — Kurt Vonnegut
Thought-provoking quotes on disappointment
151. “There’s only so many times you can allow someone to let you down before you will no longer tolerate being disappointed. When things go wrong between two people, something has got to give. You get to the point where you get tired of being the only one trying to fix things, it’s not giving up, it’s realizing you had enough. You’ve got to do what’s right for you, even if it hurts.” – Brigitte Nicole
152. “How disappointment tracks the steps of hope.” – Letitia Elizabeth Landon
153. “God is the only source of hope that’ll never disappoint. When we place our faith in him, he provides joy, peace, and hope that overflows.” – Rick Warren
154. “Struggle and disappointment are necessary ingredients to success both in the present and in the future.” – Britney Watkins
155. “The more we shelter children from every disappointment, the more devastating future disappointments will be.” – Fred G. Gosman
156. “Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.” – Eliza Tabor
157. “Disappointment, when it involves neither shame nor loss, is as good as success; for it supplies as many images to the mind, and as many topics to the tongue.” – Samuel Johnson
158. “But you know that disappointment is just the action of your brain readjusting itself to reality after discovering things are not the way you thought they were.” – Brad Warner
159. “There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you’ll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment.” – Nick Saban
160. “If you trust, you will be disappointed occasionally, but if you mistrust, you will be miserable all the time.” – Abraham Lincoln
Other disappointment quotes
161. “Depression begins with disappointment.” – Joyce Meyer
162. “You have to learn to not let little disappointments get you down and to stay focused on the big picture.” – Gillan Tans
163. “It is better to know and be disappointed than to not know and always wonder.” – Oscar Wilde
164. “One thing that we can determine is how we handle disappointments.” – Reg Morais, How To Handle Disappointments
165. “If you are someone who is in constant doubt and your life thus far has been a constant string of disappointments, it’s time you stop fixating on doubt and spend your valuable time on building a list of things that make you feel confident and assertive.” – Zak Frazer, Mastering Motivation
166. “Part of the challenge that comes with striving for success is how the entire journey comes with its own fair share of failures and disappointments.” – Rupert Johnson, Build for Success
167. “A lack of sleep causes stress on our bodies and will eventually lead to burn out or disappointment.” – Josh Austin, Habits
168. “Disappointments can have a negative effect and can be difficult to rise above. However, by the grace of God, we can move from that place of brokenness to peace and wholeness where there is nothing missing, and nothing broken!!!” – Linda Chapman, Overcoming Disappointments, Delays, & Setbacks
169. “To lean one’s hopes on anything other than God and His wondrous grace, is to set oneself up for disappointment and despair.” – John Krohn PhD, Holding on to Faith when God is Silent
170. “Forget yesterday and last month and last year, with their gloomy diary of failures and disappointments. All that is in the past.” – Og Mandino’s University of Success
Disappointment Quotes To Keep You Determined
171. “Failure is a disappointment, but not defeat.” — Jeanne Robertson
172. “To suffer some anxiety, some depression, some disappointment, even some failure is normal.” — Boyd K. Packer
173. “Don’t be shaped by regret, disappointment, fear of the future, resentment and the like. The Lord’s joy is your strength. Enjoy it.” — Terry Virgo
174. “No bad break, no disappointment, no accident can shorten one second of my divine destiny.” — Joel Osteen
175. “When you depend on another’s perceptions to match your expectations, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.” — David Cottrell
176. “It was better to live with disappointment and frustration than to live without hope.” — Robert A. Heinlein
177. “You live with life’s disappointments and learn from them. At seventy-eight, I know it all.” — Rodney Dangerfield
178. “Many of our disappointments and much of our unhappiness arise from our forming false notions of things and persons.” — Abigail Adams
179. “Life has its ups and downs, so to expect otherwise is setting yourself up for disappointment.” — Tim Matheson
180. “If you so choose, the challenges can make you stronger. If you so choose, the disappointments can make you more determined.” — Ralph Marston
Disappointment Quotes To Make Overcome Challenging Times
181. “Don’t go into the new year holding a grudge from last year. Leave the hurts and disappointments behind.” — Joel Osteen
182. “Anytime you suffer a setback or disappointment, put your head down and plow ahead.” — Les Brown
183. “We’ve all experienced change for a moment, only to feel let down and disappointed in the end.” — Tony Robbins
184. “Unfortunately, there are many things in life that hold us back like agonizing personal experiences, hurts, disappointments and major setbacks that form in us limiting beliefs about ourselves.” — Clarence Chan
185. “To courageously straighten up again after our heads have been bowed by defeat, disappointment and suffering is a supreme test of character.” — Wilferd Peterson
186. “The crushing disappointments that are so often part of the human condition have sometimes led to crises of confidence in the future, replacing hope with despair.” — Al Gore
187. “As you work towards your goals, disappointments may slow you down, but they don’t have to keep you down.” — Catherine Pulsifer
188. “When something different happened, we either expressed our joy or voiced our disappointment at the way things turned out.” — Brian F. Reynolds
189. “You need to keep your emotions in balance, treading that fine line between commitment to your goals and disappointment when they do not come to fruition, whilst still being optimistic and positive about the future.” — Tom Laurie
190. “You have to think positively. Most of your fears, like thinking that people will be disappointed in you, are just self-created.” — Matthew Lewis Browne
Disappointment Quotes On How To Pick Up After Defeat
191. “Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.” ― Charlotte Brontë
192. “If you expect nothing, you can never be disappointed.” ― Tonya Hurley
193. “Life has too many disappointments to make room for negativity.” ― Daniel Willey
194“Always give but never expect. Giving is happiness; disappointment is sadness.” ― Debasish Mridha
195. “Perfectionism rarely begets perfection, or satisfaction – only disappointment.” — Ryan Holiday
196. “Every disappointment gives you an opportunity to make another appointment.” — B. A. Fajimi
197. “One minute of sincere gratitude can wash away a lifetime’s disappointments.” — Silvia Hartmann
198. “The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward
199. “If you think one day you will get it all done, and then you can relax, you are bound to be disappointed.” — Christina Winsey-Rudd
200. “Disappointment is simply a dream that doesn’t want to become a reality.” — Richard Wilkins
Disappointment Quotes To Encourage You To Bounce Back From Distress
201. “If we magnified blessings as much as we magnify disappointments, we would all be much happier.” — John Wooden
202. “They may turn out to be a great disappointment, or perhaps they may be full of enchanting surprises.” — Mary Wesley
203. “As much as a disappointment this was, I can only learn from it and become a better fighter.” — Alexis Davis
204. “Life is not always a celebration; so be ready to courageously face disappointments when they come, and be sure to grow stronger and wiser from them.” — Edmond Mbiaka
205. “Disappointment is nothing but an eye-opening learning process for your future endeavors.” — Edmond Mbiaka
206. “Man must be disappointed with the lesser things of life before he can comprehend the full value of the greater.” ― Edward Bulwer-Lytton
207. “See your disappointments as good fortune. One plan’s deflation is another’s inflation.” — Jean Cocteau
208. “There’s always a failure. And there’s always a disappointment. But the secret is learning from failure, and realizing that none of those holes are vacuums.” — Michael J. Fox
209. “In the midst of my disappointment I am never defeated. Only given the opportunity to rise again willing to take on new challenges.” — Eleesha
210. “Disappointments pile up. And then you have to throw them out with the rest of the trash.” ― Marty Rubin
Disappointment Quotes to Lower Your Expectations
211. “The disappointment of manhood succeeds the delusion of youth.” ― Benjamin Disraeli
212. “Men marry because they are tired, women, because they are curious: both are disappointed.” ― Oscar Wilde
213. “I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than fatally disappointed.” ― Julia Glass
214. “Enthusiasm is followed by disappointment and even depression, and then by renewed enthusiasm.” ― Murray Gell-Mann
215. “Blessed is he who expects no gratitude, for he shall not be disappointed.” ― W.C. Bennett
216. “The prompter the refusal, the less the disappointment.” ― Publilius Syrus
217. “Reality is the name we give to our disappointments.” ― Mason Cooley
218. “Enlightenment is ego’s ultimate disappointment.” ― Chogyam Trungpa
219. “If you expect nothing from anybody, you’re never disappointed.” ― Sylvia Plath
220. “Mean spirits under disappointment, like small beer in a thunder- storm, always turn sour.” ― Randolph
Disappointment Quotes to Help You Persevere
221. “Would you stop hoping? Hope is just postponed disappointment.” ― Laura Schlessinger
222. “Each moment is a miracle encompassing everything: the joy and sorrow, the failure and success, the disappointment and happiness, the celebration and grief.” ― Kazuaki Tanahashi
223. “I prepare myself for all disappointments by expecting nothing.” ― Mary Russell Mitford
224. “Show business is made up of disappointments, and it’s through life’s disappointments that you grow.” ― Minnie Pearl
225. “Take heart, and do not let disappointment or shame stop you from moving forward. The true outcome of life is only apparent at the very end.” ― Daisaku Ikeda
226. “Assuming that we have trained our imagination to denounce the past, we will not suffer much from unfulfilled wishes.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
227. “In life we have many disappointments. Those who go on to greater things dwell on the disappointments briefly and then move on.” ― Zig Ziglar
228. “Disappointment proves that expectations were mistaken.” ― Mason Cooley
229. “When the bottom falls out and disappointments come, you will learn what you believe, what you love, and what you treasure.” ― Ligon Duncan
230. “Never raise expectations in others that you cannot realize: promise is less pleasing than disappointment is vexatious.” ― Norm MacDonald
What do you think about these quotes about disappointment?
How we each handle disappointment is often very different most times.
Some people do not handle it well.
They feel like failures, or they become angry that things did not go as they had wanted and planned.
Others take disappointment and learn from it, so that they do not have to feel it again in the same situation.
They re-think, re-tool, and ask themselves what they can learn and change from this experience.
For example, if you did not get your dream job, why?
While it might feel painful, send a note and ask the person that interviewed you if they can offer some insight on why you were not chosen.
Or what you can work on to score a position next time.
If someone won a pitch over you, what did they do differently that worked?
Learn from what they did that was different, and incorporate those thoughts, ideas, and skills, if appropriate.